Sunday, May 6, 2012

Happy 117th Birthday Rudy!


Today is the 117th anniversary of Valentino's birth.  I thought I would list this stunning portrait taken by James Hargis Connelly.  To my knowledge, I do not remember seeing this photo before, unless it was in Donna's book.  There appears to be a signature at the bottom, my understanding is it is that of the photographer, not Valentino.  I find it to be such a fantastic vintage pose with a great play on the lighting. 

Anyway, Happy Birthday Rudy!  I know we have quite a few followers on the blog, feel free to share a Valentino story: maybe a favorite film and why, or how you got into Valentino, or maybe your favorite Valentino collectible and why.  Leave your stories in the comments as a birthday homage if you will.  If not, at least watch a Valentino movie, or treat yourself to a new item for your collection, just don't outbid me on ebay! Enjoy the day!

7 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one who cared today. No Rudy films on TCM or anything. Bummer. Well, my favorite aspect of rudy was really his worlk with a pen. I have read his writings and find them utterly beautiful. His journals from Europe and such and his take on life. His films will always go without saying, as i myself like Blood and Sand, as it was when he really seemed to come into himself as an actor, as you can see in the film. I also greatly enjoyed visiting hollywood a ways back and seeing all of his great landmarks. You can feel it everywhere. Happy Birthday Rodolfo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    I totally agree, I have no idea how TCM missed out on his birthday, especially with his birthday falling on a Sunday, with the Sunday night silents. Oh well, they have played his movies on his birthday in the past.

    I think his writings is a reflection of who he was as a person outside of the Hollywood persona, you definitely get to know him further through his writings.

    I totally agree with the assessment of Blood and Sand. Charlie Chaplin, who is one of my favorites, next to Valentino, complemented Valentino on his acting in that film. I think that was a great complement since Chaplin was known for being such a perfectionist and very critical.

    Finally, I could not agree more about the feel of Hollywood. I feel like my head is in the clouds every time I go there. It is so rich in movie history. I am sure the people who live there are immune to it; but it is such a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I have tunnel vision everytime I go and only permit myself to see the old hollywood. I could wander the halls of the roosevelt or hollywood forever or even the area outside the knickerbocker and just enjoy being in that other realm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,

    You are a stalwart purist...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebrated his birthday on twitter. Still love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very excited about going to Valentino' s memorial service next week. He accomplished so much in his short time. Recently enjoyed his spAgetti too-dam good. Bob. bob_schneider@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete